The site is both the location of the first manufacturing plant of copper-based anti-fouling paint (1863) and the first contact between European explorers and Gloucester’s indigenous peoples (1623).
Copper sheathing was hand-formed to the shape of the “gnomon” stone which marks the central observation point of a local ancient indigenous hilltop observatory. The formed vessel of copper sheathing was then inverted and hung via a scaffold at the site of first contact. The vessel’s relative height is determined by the tide: when the tide is low and the vessel hangs high, it retains the form of the rock. When the tide is high the vessel is lowered to the gravel below and loses its referential figure.
Copper, wood, rope, found flotations. Gloucester, MA. 2021.
A kilometer square was drawn surrounding two major panoramic observational devices on the Waterloo battlefield. The Lion’s Mound is a 43-meter tall earthen observation hill constructed immediately following the battle from 1822-1825. The adjacent rotund building was designed to house the panorama painting depicting the scene of the battle by artist Louis Dumoulin in 1912. The square was surveyed using differential leveling survey techniques and the resulting data was recorded and formatted into topographic sections, then mathematically transformed through the shared circle of reflection between the two observational elements to establish the base geometry for a final proposed monument.
Survey data. Waterloo, BE, 2019
Site choreography, video. Waterloo, BE. 2019.
Site choreography, survey data. Long Pond, NY. 2020.